ADV Bum

Sprocket maintenance

Figured I would do some maintenance and prep for the dash. I was going to upgrade the front sprocket to a xr650r sprocket.

002-1.jpg

I have been riding on this for a long time. Cant believe it did not leave me somewhere!

Now dont be too hasty. It does still have 10 of 14 teeth. Just think of how long those missing teeth lasted. You should be able to go twice that!

Could have been the front teeth- those back teeth don't show as much.

holy ---- that is a lot of missing teeth

dirty chain

dry chain

gritty chain

Too tight chain

those are great white teeth that are left

Reminds me of some of my family back in Alabama (I was gonna say Tennessee, but I can't spell that!) :unsure:

Biggest issue was age and wear. I switch out between rear wheels for street and dirt. I noticed that those sprockets were getting worn and I have been replacing them. I knew I was due, I just never removed the cover to look. I do carry a spare larger front sprocket so maybe it was some subconscious thing.

That is aHonda for you. Never strands the operator....... Paul?

I'd prefer to be stranded once in a while...

Hopefully that is a softer metal gear and didn't affect your counter shaft. Mine is toast. Went with the 15t XR650R and it feels a lot tighter. My keeper was about 50% worn thur also. Still need to replace that too.

Well- you certainly have that covered

Change them early--A buddy of mine wore out the spline on the counter shaft. Had to tear down motor after geting a ride back up to the states from Cabo !

Well- you certainly have that covered

Rough crowd for sure ! :o

Change them early--A buddy of mine wore out the spline on the counter shaft. Had to tear down motor after geting a ride back up to the states from Cabo !

I agree with change them early but mainly because as sprocket wears it wears chain much faster which are much more expensive to replace. No I don't have a reference but this was derived from quite a few years of trying to race while poor and pushing things as far as possible in lots of Welsh mud where chains and spockets wore quite quick especially back then when materials and designs where not so good.

If you use steel front and rear sprockets then with rear having about 4 x number of teeth then you should expect to change 3 fronts then front and rear together (probably along with chain). Now if you use alloy rear sprocket then front and rear may well need changing together and a good O/X ring chain may well last 4 sprocket sets.

I am still in shock as my nearly 4 year old 530 EXC KTM has now done 4800 miles in 300hrs of tough use all off road and still has stock chain with first set of sprockets (I changed gearing from 15/45 to 14/48 with stealth hybrid alloy/steel rear when I bought bike for off road only use).

Guest Crusty

On my XR680L I replaced the chain every 7,000 miles and the front sprocket at 19,000

Now at 22,000 I think I will get at least 30,000 miles out of the rear STEEL sprocket.