Sign in to follow this  
karlaeda

Palomar - Borrego Springs loop

Adelina and I took some time to ride last Sunday after I was whining about the bike sitting in the garage for too long.

Clocked in about 8 hours and a bit over 230 miles. Had an absolute blast and met up with Bagster, Crawdaddy and the bunch cooling off.

Went the following route: 76 from Escondido to Palomar, dropped down to Henshaw, over through Ranchita, to Borrego Springs, Julian, and Home :)

We had our picture taken! Climbing up on Palomar was really fun. I thought with knobbies, 2up the vstrom would struggle, but it actually was taking corners AMAZINGLY well. I even managed to scrape skidplate at some point. Adelina kept shifting behind looking all around so I had to slow down and not fly like a mad man.

palomar_resized2.jpg

Overlooking Palomar, it was pretty darn cold on top.

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

I want a DSLR so that the pictures like this can become a masterpiece :)

IMG_0970.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

Some other guys buzzing by :)

IMG_0958.jpg

It was really peaceful on the Eastern side, overlooking Henshaw:

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0975.jpg

A bit of posing :)

IMG_0964.jpg

My favorite picture of the day:

IMG_0979.jpg

Shortly after that picture was taken, I got back on the bike and put side stand up and...leaned too far to the right, 2up. I put EVERYTHING I had to hold the bike up straight. I think I was trying to catch my breath for about 5 minutes afterwards. Not fun :(

Met with Chris and Dave. Chatted a bit, but they seemed to be a bit worn out and I didn't want to interrupt their dirt bike stories. Thanks Dave for pointing out where the statues were. Funny, I rode past them before...and never saw them.

IMG_0998.jpg

I did get to do some offroading after all!!!

IMG_1010.jpg

Oh crap!

IMG_1003.jpg

The plan was to mae it the buttes and Salton sea, but the sun was already setting down and wen shot straight home via Julian. Got home and about 30 minutes after it got dark. Overall excellent ride, stay safe there, folks.

-George

Looks like a great day! Thanks for the vicarious ride.

Great pics george....looks like a beautiful day up there.....Thanks for sharing.

(ps: Christmas Idea: you could buy your lady some nice leather boots....will complete the look and be a bit safer too, but perhaps not as warm as the uggs :coolio: )

Thanks for the comments :)

Deb- you would be surprised how hard it is to talk her into getting anything! It took me about a month for her to get the jacket. She looks at every set of bike boots out there and deems them a crime to fashion.

Pants from the same touring set is to be shipped to cycle gear this week...but the boots..oh I don't even know where to start there!

Karl,

Repeat after me, "Italian Leather".

http://www.sidisport...hp?macro=2&id=2

You don't need to spend a bunch on a SLR unless you plan on making prints.

You have the eye and sensibility, we can see your vision.

Tired, who's tired. bb.gif

Great to see you out on the road. You have a nice set-up and a lady to share the experience. I ran into two guys other than our riding group there at Carlee's.

Crossroads of the World.

Dave

Good on ya for getting out there! I have This Backrest on my Strom and it works perfectly. A steel plate replaces the rubber pad on the rack. The backrest is on/off in seconds. Makes the wife happy.

Epic! :party: I haven't ridden the mountain pavement for some time now. i need to clean those carbs on the street bike and get up there.

Nice ride report.

+1 on the boots and protective gear.

Linky

STG Linky

I've seen some pretty good looking boots from SIDI for females.

Or you could give her the option of going full-suit/boots haha :)

n1215164223_30429694_5434443.jpg