KTMrad

Trail Appreciation Volunteer Days in Kernville Area

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED FOR 10/22/11 TRAIL APPRECIATION EVENT

Two of the four registered volunteers have cancelled for our 10/22 Trail Appreciation Event next Saturday. We have not heard back yet from the other two, so we may be looking at no volunteers.

Everyone complains about losing trails, but Stewards has been able to keep them open, in part by formally adopting and agreeing to maintain trails since 2005. Stewards members need to continue to make good on that if they want the trails to stay open. Simple enough put up or loose trails.

While everyone would just prefer to enjoy the trails, the fact of the matter is the Forest Service lacks the manpower to maintain them all. So without our help many of the trails could be closed.

We need a few good people who want to put some love back in their trails. The 10/22 project will most likely be Dry Meadow Trail & Little Dry which are what some might say expert single track trail. We need to clean out the water bars we built last year and cut back brush to keep the trails open. Due to remote nature of the event this will be a dirt bike only project.

Please reply to this email if you would like to help or use this link to register now and help keep the trails you love open and in good condition.

Stewards has over 2000 members, but only about 1% step up to volunteer. It would be great if everyone would invest just one day a year into our proven Trail Appreciation volunteer program to help keep trails open. Many thanks to the few who are doing their part, but they cannot do it all. We need more to step up. Another possibility would be for Stewards to hire people to help maintain the trails so if you cannot volunteer please consider donating instead.

If you can't make the 10/22 event please see if you can help out on any of the other Stewards of the Sequoia Trail Appreciation Days and then Register for that date so we can contact you with the location. Come up and work to help the trails one day and then ride the next, a real Win-Win.

TRAIL APPRECIATION DAYS

10/22/11 Location to be determined depending on weather and soil conditions

11/12/11 Location to be determined depending on weather and soil conditions

12/3/11 Location to be determined depending on weather and soil conditions

Those who Register will get a great lunch provided by Sierra Gateway Market. About one week prior to each event we will determine the project location based on weather and soil conditions. Those who register will receive staging information at that time.

Working on the trails is not only fun but rewarding. Stewards Trail Appreciation program has proven to be one of the best ways to help stop trail closure and also guarantees the Forest Service and BLM will look far more favorably at ways to work with us to keep trails open.

You can learn more and register HERE

I wanted to go on 11/12 but work just swapped my schedule for that weekend. I'm really going to try for the 12/3.

I'm registered to be a volunteer with them....I hope to try to make the 12/3 date also if the weather holds out til then....chris from stewards said most of these work days are done by riding your bike into the work areas......(this weeks work is planned for a pretty knarly rocky black diamond trail...some of you guys would love it)

Since there is interest, maybe a 12/3 weekend trip should be planned.

I'm going to see what my schedule is, and try to make this one if we can have a few people share gas up.

I'm not real familiar with the area but since it is a long drive for one day maybe a camp weekend would be fun. My husband and I have always wanted to help out. ( no black diamonds for me) but happy to do anything else. I will do my best to get some more people interested if we can get some more details. Dec. 3 is the best date for us.

They will post the exact trail work location a week or two before...I want to make this work for 12/3 hopefully....It would be awesome if SDAR could have a good presence for this.....its a 5 hour drive from north county....would be great to carpool...I'd probably want to head up friday morning?...return sunday afternoon...

I've camped the area of the upper Kern alot...it's a few miles from Kernville (stores, restaurants, services etc)..you can camp right along the river, free, dispersed camping..great fishing......there are also several national forest campgrounds along the river, but not sure what season they run? maybe not open that late?....elevation in that area is about 3000 ..not too cold like up on plateau. (yesterday was high 78, low 50)...heres a site with lots of area info or search "canyon connection"

http://kernvalley.com/news/

Good to see a little interest has been generated for the Dec. 3rd.

My last trip up there took me 4:45 from Pacific Beach to Lake Isabella and I wasn't hauling butt, just cruising and no traffic delays. Always nice to drive out of town on a Saturday morning.

Almost all of the campgrounds close after Labor Day weekend. Out of a couple dozen campgrounds in the area there are a few open around the lake and a few more North of Kernville along the river. That's it. I camped at Pioneer Point just South of Wofford Heights on the West shore. Decent place with a great view of the lake, hot showers for a quarter and an easy drive into town for forgotten supplies or to the trailhead. It's best to stay in touch with Chris Horgan who'll recommend campgrounds or hotels to best access the trails they'll be working on that day.

I'm always up for a carpool and caravan. I'm with Deb, drive up Friday head back Sunday afternoon.

Jon

Would like to help out, and could do the trail work probably BUT, I just got the notice that this work is on an "Expert" trail, and I've heard what those "expert" trails up there are like......probably not my kind of riding area????? but let me know the plan. I will email chris hogan also.....

CALLING ALL YOU EXPERT RIDERS? ANYONE INTERESTED IN HELPING OUT - TRAIL WORK?.....THIS SATURDAY....KERN/ISABELLA AREA.....

I would love to go...BUT, don't know if my 640 will be ready by Friday. I have a carb to replace, check jetting, etc. and other maintenance. Don't think I'm going to have time to be ready for Friday departure.