Big Bear Run - Big Bear Trail Riders

LINK TO FLYER HERE

A two day Dual Sport Motorcycle tour of the

mountains surrounding Big Bear Lake. Finisher

plaques will be awarded to those who

complete all Saturday’s hard loop. All skill levels are

welcome. Both days will have easy / hard options

to choose from. There will be roll charts, and GPS Data

available at sign up (bring your own GPS, and data cable).

Free overnight RV parking at the Convention Center

parking lot will be available beginning Friday after 5pm

until Sunday afternoon. Saturday or 2-day rider entry

includes Saturday night Banquet with great sponsor

giveaways. Pre-entry guarantees a ride T-Shirt.

Miguel Burgi (818) 391-3031

SIGN-UPS & BANQUET WILL BE HELD

AT THE CONVENTION CENTER

42900 BIG BEAR BLVD.

BIG BEAR LAKE, CA 92315

Sign-ups:

Friday evening: 6pm to 9pm Saturday: 6am to 9am

Sunday Morning: 7am to 9am

Sign-Up online at www.bigbeartrailriders.com

June 25th & 26th, 2011

I'm running one of the checkpoints...look forward to seeing some SDAR riders up there!..I know of several of you that are going up!

I'll be working the download table/sweeping (as usual)

It's a great time! Take a look in the ride reports section of SDAR....there are lots of ride reports from this ride in years past.

Going to be working in the garage this weekend switching the bike over from desert to mountain. Day trips coming up before the big weekend!

So if I cvould ask a question guys. I'm new to SDAR and recently new to ADV riding. Bought a 2010 990 about 2 months ago and have been riding the back country of Rancho Santa Fe, Escondido, Black Mountain, Ramona and Black Canyon. The stock Scorpion tire seems to do just ok. If i get into any mud or big rock, creeks, etc it's less than great. Question is, if I'm doing the easier ride at Big Bear will this tire hold up? Eventually I'd like to have a tire for the street and a Metzeler Enduro for the dirt but may not be able to by the time Big Bear arrives.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve

"....recently new to ADV riding....2010 990 about 2 months ago......Thoughts?"

The Big Bear Run is really geared towards intermediate riders on Dual Sport Bikes.......no "ADV" loop........"I" wouldn't advise a newsh rider on a 990 to enter his event......

There's pleny of riding for you up in that area, but I'd pass on dropping ~$100 for the Big Bear Run......

"....recently new to ADV riding....2010 990 about 2 months ago......Thoughts?"

The Big Bear Run is really geared towards intermediate riders on Dual Sport Bikes.......no "ADV" loop........"I" wouldn't advise a newsh rider on a 990 to enter his event......

There's pleny of riding for you up in that area, but I'd pass on dropping ~$100 for the Big Bear Run......

Appreciate the advice Chris but too late, already signed up. From what I understand after talking with the BBTR team, there are two runs on Saturday and Sunday. The agressive ride Sat is 12 hours to the desert floor and very competitve. Then there's a 100 mile fire road-ish, go at your own pace ride which is what I'll be doing. I think I'll be ok on this run as the guys up there said there's not too many difficult spots and one can turn back any time. I've been riding bike, quads, sand rails, etc all my life and feel pretty comfortable on this bike so far.

We'll see how it goes. Glad I installed my crash bars!

Cheers,

Steve

many of us are quite familiar with routes up there and might me able to give you a heads up before you head down something you may want to avoid....I sent some big bikes down some roads up there that I THOUGHT were easy fire roads and big bike friendly....they didn't think so!!!! and had a hard time......(opinions vary widely on that)...

But most of the regular tracks on the fire roads will be similar to years past...and all the "roads" are so-called fire roads.....but some of those are challenging up there....many others are plenty easy for any bike,......once the tracks are out this year, we could look at them?...just a thought...

many of us are quite familiar with routes up there and might me able to give you a heads up before you head down something you may want to avoid....I sent some big bikes down some roads up there that I THOUGHT were easy fire roads and big bike friendly....they didn't think so!!!! and had a hard time......(opinions vary widely on that)...

But most of the regular tracks on the fire roads will be similar to years past...and all the "roads" are so-called fire roads.....but some of those are challenging up there....many others are plenty easy for any bike,......once the tracks are out this year, we could look at them?...just a thought...

Appreciate that advice as well. Really don't want to get into a pickle but at the same time I like to push myself. Riding with guys better than me helps me improve so hopfully I can trail some folks.

Thanks!

Appreciate that advice as well. Really don't want to get into a pickle but at the same time I like to push myself. Riding with guys better than me helps me improve so hopfully I can trail some folks.

Thanks!

And also DS, so you don't take offense :) I can also learn from the female gender as well. Never too humble to learn.

Thanks again,

Steve

I'm in and looking for some 'hard way' riding partners....!!!

Although on most evenings and weekends I ride all the local Big Bear trails (including the hard routes) solo, I wouldn't mind some company on this one.

I'm also open to anyone wanting to come and do some pre-rides.

Although on most evenings and weekends I ride all the local Big Bear trails (including the hard routes) solo, I wouldn't mind some company on this one.

I may be interested... I like the hard way! Pre-ride would be good.

What is the range between gas stops for this event? Will a stock CRF450X (plated) tank work. 60-80 miles??

What is the range between gas stops for this event? Will a stock CRF450X (plated) tank work. 60-80 miles??

jesse,

I know they are changing up the routes quite alot this year...I'll pm you some phone numbers, you can contact them...very cool guys.

Thanks!

Hey Buffalo,

I'd like to suggest that you really really should put on Continental TKC-80 tires for this ride. I've ridden my 950 up there, and it won't be fun without knobbies.

Glad to see another big bike rider join the group !

619-241-3268

Call me so we can set something up.

Johnny, I'll ride the hard ways with you....hopefully I have the Husky demo bike for this ride also.

I'm in and looking for a riding partner / group and am up for the hard ways. Also need a place to sleep..

Thanks!

Hey Buffalo,

I'd like to suggest that you really really should put on Continental TKC-80 tires for this ride. I've ridden my 950 up there, and it won't be fun without knobbies.

Glad to see another big bike rider join the group !

Went on a 28 mile hammer down through the back country od Anza today. Headed up,and down some trails littered with large broken rock, washes with deep sand and some pretty steep climbing. The Scorpion? Not that great!

Since my last post I've stepped up to a par of LeoVince pipes. This Thursday RJ at All American is performance mapping, installing a Scott's Damper and Triple clamp and after today's ride, a TKC-80!!!!

My wife is having back surgery on the 21st but the doc says she'll be fine hanging around the motorhome. Really looking forward to meeting everyone.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Steve

I may be interested... I like the hard way! Pre-ride would be good.

Hey Josh I am finalizing (re-finalizing ) some loose ends on my TE610 if I have her dialed in the next week or so I am slated to go with a guy from SD, it would be great to hook up and do the Sat A loop for the finisher plaque. drop me a PM, Rob