SteelRain

Big Bikes to Mike's: The Return

Departing: Saturday 23 April early (First Linkup 0700-Carpool lot at 32.963055,-117.091287/Second Linkup 0815- Border Park and Ride lot near border at 32.751111, -116.80305).

Returning: Sunday 24 April late afternoon/early evening.

Infil Route: 94 -> Tecate -> MX2 -> Compadre Trail -> Valle T -> Mikes.

Extract Route: Reversed Infil OR Mikes -> Laguna Hansen -> Tecate -> 94.

Pace: Super Mellow / Big Bike Friendly. Shift will be riding Sweep

Fuel Range: Recommended 120 miles - Emergency/small tank fuel available from my "Super Tanker" via syphon.

Gear: Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Long Sleeves, Long Pants (anything more is at discression-I reccomend some armor and good boots), some offroad experience.

Special Requirements: Passport, minimum $120 (fuel, lodging, food, tolls), Pesos are not a bad idea if you have them.

Very Special Requirements: Patience and a good attitude.

This will be a mellow paced fun little adventure on easy trails and "fire roads". No deep sand, but there will be some mildly rocky areas, most of this ride is hard packed, and some shallow sand, with the possibility of two small water crossings. The last time out I was 2up and that slowed us a little bit; This time the pace will be SLIGHTLY more spirited but will remain big bike friendly. We may split into mutliple groups if needed. The days will eb longer this time, so don't be afraid of the dark!

If you are a Mexi-noob or just want to go to Mikes Sky Ranch please join us for a mellow ride, good eats, and good times. GPS Tracks will be provided via email to those who request them.

Myself and atleast one other will have a Radio and Spot Tracker for sure.

Additional info about the previous ride can be found below:

Announcement

Ride Report

Attendees:

SteelRain

Shift

Dirt Diva + Pit Crew

Departing: Saturday 23 April early (First Linkup 0700-Carpool lot at 32.963055,-117.091287/Second Linkup 0815- Border Park and Ride lot near border at 32.751111, -116.80305).

Returning: Sunday 26 September late afternoon/early evening.

Would like to go, but that is one long arse trip. Did you retire?

Would like to go, but that is one long arse trip. Did you retire?

I copied and pasted from my last ride announcement, looks like I missed an edit.

Please note the original post has been updated.

Leaving Sat April 23, Returning Sun April 24. I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not you need a passport to return. Any insight?

Leaving Sat April 23, Returning Sun April 24. I have heard conflicting reports on whether or not you need a passport to return. Any insight?

You will need a passport; thats why I listed it in the requirements ;)

I have never had a passport. Does this mean I will have to get vacinations/ shots?

I have never had a passport. Does this mean I will have to get vacinations/ shots?

No shots or vaccinations required. However, getting a passport on such short notice will be very expensive.

Ah, this would have been a nice intro ride to Mike's Sky Rancho. I've been wanting to visit the place for years. I'm doing the LowCal 250 Rally put on by BMW of SD on 4/23 or I would join along. Next time!

Also, and you didn't hear it from me: DHS/CBP isn't truly enforcing the passport requirement yet. If you return to the US without a passport, you'll get a reminder from the friendly CBP employee, as well as a yellow pamphlet with useful info about obtaining a passport. There's no fine and I assure you, the US gov't won't deny entry to a US citizen. Just fyi...

You could get by with a birth certificate at the border. I agree they still won't turn you away. But get yourself a passport and see the world.

Covered in Dust

Does this mean I will have to get vacinations/ shots?

When you get to Mikes ask him for a shot of his homemade Tequila. Trust me, you'll be acclimated to anything and everything after a couple of those.

Does this mean I will have to get vacinations/ shots?

When you get to Mikes ask him for a shot of his homemade Tequila. Trust me, you'll be acclimated to anything and everything after a couple of those.

Make sure to ask Mike for some chips and salsa also ;-)

Covered in Dust

Make sure to ask Mike for some chips and salsa also ;-)

Covered in Dust

Rohan loved the Chicken Wings....

For any rider that wants to join, please let me know so I can contact Mike and add you to my list of riders; I would hate to leave the linkup without someone.

How about some more details like one way miles, percent dirt vs pavement, etc. Nothing exact just estimates every ride is subject to change, before or during.

John

... one way miles

... percent dirt vs pavement

One way would be no less than 150 miles, but we will have fueling options

Dirt to pavement ratio really depends on the size and capability of the group. Most likely we will be riding about 25% of our time on pavement, however it could be significantly more if we have a serious bike failure/injury or less.

This is a Dual Sport / Adventure Ride.

Feel free to post any questions you may have here as they will likely assist others. If there is not enough interest the ride be cancelled.

Right now I am about to cancel this ride due to lack of interest.

If you are "in" for sure post up. Otherwise I have another ride that I will be doing that weekend.

Right now I am about to cancel this ride due to lack of interest.

If you are "in" for sure post up. Otherwise I have another ride that I will be doing that weekend.

We (Diva and myself) are fine with cancelling the ride as we are going to Bar10 the following week and life is crazy right now. Let us know if you reschedule in the future. Definitely a trip we want to do.

Since you guys were the only ones I had on the "in list" I am cancelling this ride. We'll make it up in the future.

Returning: Sunday 24 April late afternoon/early evening.

Infil Route: 94 -> Tecate -> MX2 -> Compadre Trail -> Valle T -> Mikes.

Extract Route: Reversed Infil OR Mikes -> Laguna Hansen -> Tecate -> 94.

Pace: Super Mellow / Big Bike Friendly. Shift will be riding Sweep

Fuel Range: Recommended 120 miles - Emergency/small tank fuel available from my "Super Tanker" via syphon.

Gear: Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Long Sleeves, Long Pants (anything more is at discression-I reccomend some armor and good boots), some offroad experience.

Special Requirements: Passport, minimum $120 (fuel, lodging, food, tolls), Pesos are not a bad idea if you have them.

Very Special Requirements: Patience and a good attitude.

This will be a mellow paced fun little adventure on easy trails and "fire roads". No deep sand, but there will be some mildly rocky areas, most of this ride is hard packed, and some shallow sand, with the possibility of two small water crossings. The last time out I was 2up and that slowed us a little bit; This time the pace will be SLIGHTLY more spirited but will remain big bike friendly. We may split into mutliple groups if needed. The days will eb longer this time, so don't be afraid of the dark!

If you are a Mexi-noob or just want to go to Mikes Sky Ranch please join us for a mellow ride, good eats, and good times. GPS Tracks will be provided via email to those who request them.

Myself and atleast one other will have a Radio and Spot Tracker for sure.

Additional info about the previous ride can be found below:

Announcement

Ride Report

You call that a big bike?.....I have seen big...Thats not big. :wacko:

Attendees:

SteelRain

Shift

Dirt Diva + Pit Crew

Guest Crusty

I was thinking about doing this ride, but I checked with the BOSS and we are leaving mid week to Vegas for the Supercross finals.

Maybe another date would be better.

Craig.